Thread: ViewRanger Outdoors GPS Open Maps

ViewRanger Outdoors GPS Open Maps

Hi everyone,

I found this great Android GPS application "ViewRanger", which I thought I'd share here (it's not listed on ::Software Help:: as yet). But it's also available for iPhone and Symbian as well.

TEMP_ViewRanger-Banner.gif

Here's the "blurb" on the product:
    ViewRanger is the powerful Outdoors GPS Navigation Solution for your smartphone or tablet, that’s fully synchronised with web-based route planning and sharing.

Our mobile and web service means that you can create your own routes or search our massive trails database for those created by experts or other community members. Once out on the trail, the ViewRanger app has all the features to allow you to go further with the confidence of being able to instantly locate yourself, to navigate accurately, search for places, view stats, even to share your location with friends.

You can choose from a massive range of maps that will work even without mobile coverage, so you can see all the trails, terrain and street level detail that you need. And the tracks you record, can be uploaded to be published or shared using your favourite social networking tools.

There are free and paid versions of the application, but I've found the freebie more than adequate (tested only for route creation at this stage). It uses OSM maps, so there is a data overhead, although the maps can be cached for offline use.

In addition to navigation, there's route and POI creation available in this application, and a host of other features including .gpx export.

You can setup a free account with ViewRanger, and utlise the web-based route planning, which is probably preferable to route creation on a smartphone if there's access to a PC (eg. internet cafe, etc.). The web interface has options for OSM and Google maps, as well as satellite and a range of others. Their server can be utilised as a repository for your route files, which can be shared with the community in much the same way as we share maps, etc. on this forum. As a result, there are free routes which can be downloaded from the site, although I think there's very much a U.K. bias at present.

Anyway, you can check out the app on their website or at the app store..

Check it out if you're into your mobile apps. I've also documented a workflow for route creation utilising an Android tablet on this thread (post #2).

Cheers,
    Paul.

PS - I'll endeavour to post some screen-caps in the near future.
    Last edited by CADManager; 27th July 2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Formatting

Screen Captures

Hi everyone,

Here are some screen captures I've just taken of the ViewRanger app for Android in action (as I said, I've only tested for route creation/export to date). Refer following two replies...

Cheers,
    Paul.

Route Creation

1. From the map screen, use the menu to select Create/Route. Here you see a route with start and end points only - note the information in the top corner while the route is selected (red).
    01_Route(Start&End).gif

By pressing & holding a waypoint, the context menu is presented. Here, I select Edit / Insert after:
    02_WaypointMenu.gif 03_WaypointEditMenu.gif

A new waypoint is typically inserted in the middle of an existing leg. Toggle between waypoint control and map pan/zoom, in order to place the waypoint. Note the offset controller for the waypoint (so as the position is not obscured by your finger). GREAT FEATURE! Place the waypoint and accept.
    04_IntermediateWaypoint.gif 05_LocateWaypoint.gif

Finished route with more intermediate points:
    06_FinishedRoute.gif

Refer the next reply for exporting route data (if you want it for another device as I do when touring).

P.

Export to GPX

With a completed route (it need not be selected on-screen), use the view selector to choose the Organiser:
    07_ViewMenu.gif

Choose Routes, and then select the route to be exported.
    08_Organiser.gif 09_SelectRoute.gif

Choose Sharing / Export item to GPX:
    10RouteMenu.gif 11_RouteSharingMenu.gif

And then saveas:
    12ExportGPX.gif

That's it in ViewRanger. As far as my requirements go, I then use anothe website (GPSVisualizer.com) to convert the .gpx file to Magellan .rte format, using their GPS Babel engine.

I hope the screen captures prove to be informative.

Cheers,
    Paul.

Social Integration

Hi all,

Not particularly my scene, but for those of you who can't do without your daily fix of Facebook and other social media, I've just received notification from ViewRanger that the latest update features social connectivity. Here's their article Find Friends, Find Publishers, and Share Trip Stories if you are interested.

Cheers,
    Paul.

Garden Gnome wote in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by garden gnome View Post
    can your ViewRanger convert map format ? or is this only with compegps land ?

do you have the need to convert maps ever ?

ViewRanger has the following map choices:
    • OpenStreetMap
    • OpenCycleMap
    • Bing Road Maps
    • Bing Aerial Imagery
    • Ski Map
    • OpenStreetMap (Direct)
    • OpenStreetMap - Midnight
    • OpenStreetMap - Fresh

In addition to the free maps, premium maps can be purchased for various countries (although, not Australia) - read about it here if you wish.

It doesn't convert maps, but reads the various types listed. I don't convert maps, but have taken (open source) data and compiled maps for the Magellan eXplorist series GPSrs - refer this thread.

Cheers,
    Paul.