Thread: Converting .wpt files to .upt for explorist 600

1. Converting .wpt files to .upt for explorist 600

I am using an Explorist 600 interfaced with MapsendLite V2.0. I have attempted to import .wpt files that people have placed for download on this site but unable to import them successfully into my explorist using MapSend Lite and Magellan Conversion Manager 1.05.

The reason I am converting .wpt files to .upt is that it seems that this is the 600 format.

I have attempted to import many .wpt files off this site and none have worked using the two programs.

THE ERROR MESSAGE I GET An error occurred while loading file C:\Documents and Settings\******\Desktop\waypoints speed camera\vic_maintenance.wpt.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need some other software to make it compatible with my 600? Where can I download it?

Love some help...

Hello, I can only assume the files you have got from this site are OziExplorer format *.wpt. Just to confuse you the original Meridian mapsend format files were also called *.wpt files..but in a different format. You are trying to import OziExplorer wpt files into Mapsend Lite - it will never work. Several solutions, the most obvious to me being ...get Oziexplorer (not sure if trial version will do it) or get gpsbabel and convert to *upt.
    Cheers
    Greg
    To find yourself, think for yourself Socrates 469 BC

3. Thanks The Explorer,

I surfed this site for about 2 hours before posting my question. After sifting through many threads I figured you would be the one with the answers.

I installed OziExplorer 3.95.4 (freeware version) and loaded the generic world base map after configuring it to suite the Magellan. I was able to import the .wpt files from the site and convert them to .upt then export them into MapSend Lite and my 600.

I am using Discover Aus Streets & Tracks Topo on SD card and attempted to import the Base maps and detailed maps unsuccessfully into OzoExplorer.

Is it possible to import maps from my SD card on my 600 into OzoExplorer?

Should I just convert any downloaded .wpt files tracks and routes using OZiExplorer then import them into MapSend Lite?

Would I be right to say that Magellan does not have an all in one solution to date?

Thanks for your help to date Explorer

4. Quote Originally Posted by fastandfurious
    No. It's in a format that Ozi does not understand and maybe never will.

Quote Originally Posted by fastandfurious
    Should I just convert any downloaded .wpt files tracks and routes using OZiExplorer then import them into MapSend Lite?
    The easiest way would be to load them into Ozi, upload to GPS and then download using Mapsend Lite. Or you can do what The Explorer said and try GPSBabel.

5. Hi Dooghan,

I thought there was no way to import maps from my 600 into OziExplorer. I will use OziExplorer to convert my waypoints, routes and tracks then use MapSend Lite to import them.

I think it is sad that Magellan have not worked on incorporating this into Mapsend Lite.

Thanks for your help Dooghan

Quote Originally Posted by Dooghan
    No. It's in a format that Ozi does not understand and maybe never will.

The easiest way would be to load them into Ozi, upload to GPS and then download using Mapsend Lite. Or you can do what The Explorer said and try GPSBabel.
    Hello - actually no need to "upload" to GPS when using OziExplorer and eXplorist GPS. OziExplorer allows you to save the file anywhere you like (on PC or to the GPS). So you can load an Ozi format *.wpt file, then "Save to GPS", but just save the *.upt file to a folder on PC (you don't even have have/own/stolen a Magellan gps or have it connected). Saved *.upt file can then be loaded to Mapsend Lite.
    Cheers
    Greg

7. Thanks for your speedy advice Greg. I managed to sort it all out.

No - they are in a different format and its not worth the trouble (IMHO) Get a PC set up with OZI compatible maps if you are keen. Magellan maps aren't bad so if you are happy spend your spare money on beer :food-smil .

You can do all your waypoint/track and route management with OziExplorer (full version) so if you wish to shell out a few bucks you will be set.

Would I be right to say that Magellan does not have an all in one solution to date?
    Yes, while maps are pretty good and on par (at least) with Garmin, software lacks many features available on non generic GPS mapping software such as OziExplorer. Get both and you will be laughing.
    Cheers
    Greg
    PS sorry if a bit late - rain delay stuffed me up

9. Quote Originally Posted by The Explorer
    Hello - actually no need to "upload" to GPS when using OziExplorer and eXplorist GPS. OziExplorer allows you to save the file anywhere you like (on PC or to the GPS). So you can load an Ozi format *.wpt file, then "Save to GPS", but just save the *.upt file to a folder on PC (you don't even have have/own/stolen a Magellan gps or have it connected). Saved *.upt file can then be loaded to Mapsend Lite.
    Cheers
    Greg
    That's right : I think I better stick to the Garmin's :grinning-

10. It is such a shame that Magellan has not managed to integrate all the required tools in one software package.

I remember the time Next Destination were going to send you out a CD of all the TOPO maps when you purchased the SD card version free of charge (they never even had a data base set up)... Project abandoned.

The Topo kit included Conversion Manager and Geocache Manager on CD but you were unable to interface with either... Useless.

Then well over a year later out comes MapSend Lite. Pity you need 3rd party software to get basic functionality out of it as i found out today... Useless

Rain delay... It is as dry as a desert here in Melbourne. I might have to buy the Desert & Tracks Topo just to navigate around the city if the rains don't come here soon.

Once again thanks Greg.

11. Dooghan enjoy your Garmin... Looks like you are having more fun than me so far...

Then well over a year later out comes MapSend Lite. Pity you need 3rd party software to get basic functionality out of it as i found out today... Useless...

: on the broken promise of a CD when it becomes available BS!

And you don't need any other software for full functionality between a Magellan GPS and Mapsend Lite.

They are made to understand each other, and only each others 'language'.
    Although they both talk GPX format, I think there may be other issues there too!

But there is an online conversion tool available on this site to help with conversion to most popular formats
    See Here

It was just confusing that both the old Mapsend/Magellan and Ozi format for waypoints had the same file extension!

If you need to know how to convert from the old magellan formats to the new explorist format, that's easy. Conversion Manager

But don't confuse files from sources that Magellan has no interest in with Magellan format files.
    Just as Garmin and TomTom doesn't accept Ozi format files... they don't (really)want people to freely exchange data and files... there's no $$ in it for them

Ozi is a popular GPS tool.
    Some clever and helpful people devote much time to help us less knowledgeable, to exchange our data to whomever we want.

Hope this helps, FandF
    King of the Who?
    King of the Britons!
    Who are the Britons?....