Blog Entries

Thumbs up Ricoh releases a new camera with GPS WG-4 GPS

It isn't the first time Ricoh have release a camera with GPS but the specifications are a vast improvement over it's predecessor.

wg-4gps.jpg

With the important technical specifications (other than image quality) are as follows:

• 16-megapixel 1/2.3-inch (6.17 x 4.55 mm) CMOS sensor with sensor-shift shake reduction
    • 4.5-18-mm F2-F4.9 lens, which gives a 35-mm-format equivalent focal length of 25-100mm.
    • ISO range of 125 to 6,400 and can shoot Full HD 1080p video at 30 fps
    • Waterproof down to 14 meters (45 ft)
    • Shock resistant against drops from up to two meters (6.6 ft)
    • Operate in temperatures down to -10C (14F)
    • Crushproof to 100 kg (220 lb).
    • 3-inch LCD display with 460k dots, featuring an anti-reflection coating for use in bright conditions.
    • Ring of six LED macro lights around the lens barrel should come in handy for use with the Digital Microscope mode, plus a traditional built-in flash.
    • GPS records position data and travel log data for captured images. A sub-display on the front of the WG-4 GPS is used to indicate time and GPS data
    • Camera also has a pressure/altitude/depth gauge and a digital compass.
      Due to be released in March, the Ricoh WG-4 and Ricoh WG-4 GPS will sell for US$330 and $380 respectively. The WG-4 GPS will come in blue or black, while the WG-4 will be offered in silver or lime yellow. Australian prices yet to be determined

The WG-4 and WG-4 GPS offer outstanding waterproof performance -- down to 14 meters underwater--and shock resistance against a fall from heights up to two meters. While inheriting the easy-to-hold, non-slip design of the previous lineup, they provide a choice of new body colors that stand out in the outdoors. They also feature such state-of-the-art developments as a large-aperture, four-times optical zoom lens (with the maximum aperture of F2.0 at the wide-angle end) and a high-sensitivity, back-illuminated CMOS image sensor to deliver high-quality, low-noise images -- even in the water, at night and at indoor sports events where the subject is poorly illuminated. Other significant improvements have been made to upgrade the camera's operation and performance, including faster AF operation in macro shooting, improved image quality in underwater shooting, and the addition of the USER mode for instant recall of the user's favorite settings. An array of optional accessories are available to accommodate active outdoor photography. For instance, an adhesive mount and a handlebar mount are designed to securely fix the camera for hands-free shooting, allowing the photographer to take advantage of such movie recording features as a dual shake reduction system and Full HD movie recording (1920 x 1080 pixels).
    The RICOH WG-4 GPS model also comes equipped with an advanced GPS unit to record position data and travel log data onto captured images, and provide such GPS-related functions as a pressure/altitude/depth gauge and a digital compass to further facilitate outdoor shooting.
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Mmmm I wonder how this compares with the Olympus Tough TG-2 I got for Christmas? The TG-2 had the best lens of GPS waterproof cameras.

Barry

Blog Entries
    That only has A-GPS, it requires download of an Almanac, which means it doesn't get to go in this category. Pretends to be one, which isn't the same as a real GPS
    Last edited by Nicko; 1st March 2014 at 03:54 PM.
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

OK, what about my Nikon AW100?
    Is it a real GPS? It has a built in map which shows position & street names.
    In January I spent a week skiing in the Italian alps, then some time in Innsbruck & Vienna.
    When I walked out of the hotel each day & turned on the camera & the Aventura, the AW100 had a position fix long before the Aventura.

Not sure about the lens compared to the Olympus, but it takes great photos & videos in the extremes of both the bright, white, sunlit Dolomite Mountains and the dim dark museums & galleries in Vienna where no flash is allowed.
    regards Michael

yacht racing at RMYS
    Lake Mountain Ski Patrol
    bush walking anywhere in Vic

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
    That only has A-GPS, it requires download of an Almanac, which means it doesn't get to go in this category. Pretends to be one, which isn't the same as a real GPS
    Ahh like Michael I'd like to know more too. Did I buy the wrong camera!!! Cause I won't be upgrading my camera for quite a while. And yes I noted that there was advice to download something (an Almanac?) for the GPS which I though was just to keep a map up to date. Ahhhhhh have I made the decision without enough research.

Blog Entries
    Bare with me on developing these new sub-forums on specific products as I think only talking about handhelds, street navigators, Garmin/Ozi maps and Ozi/TwoNav etc software is not going to make this a fully fledged GPS forum. Give me time to develop it, if someone has a device with GPS then they are welcome to start a new thread in the appropriate forum. Ideally if it is a review then it should go in the review section which will mirror the 'New GPS' forum but is purely for hands-on chat.

I will mention only models that are still available for now, whilst older models will surface when people talk about them.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

No problems Nick. I only realised these are items you're selling when I saw the second post about a camera. I think that is really good that you're bringing your expertise to these cameras with built-in GPS. We as the readers of the this forum and as customers can only benefit from this. Best of luck with this.

Barry

Blog Entries
    No, these are not items I am selling... I only sell TwoNav products now. I gave up Garmin 3 years ago and have dabbled a bit with TomTom Fleet and Samyung Chartplotters.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
    No, these are not items I am selling...
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken .....