Blog Entries

Re-opening GPS Australia

Hi everyone,

I have reopened GPS Australia forum, after much struggle to get help, my only line of defence is to delete all pending activations and all none ISP emails such as Gmail, Yahoo etc, especially those that have not contributed by way of a Q or an A. Future membership will not be limited to these common emails but all will require approval first. If you are deleted but wish to remain a member please let me know here or via email.
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Blog Entries
    I am also deleting all members who have never posted as I don't have the time to sort through 48,000 members as to who are legitimate (bigpond, iinet, government, etc etc emails). This will mean this site will probably be around 7,000 members until they all start coming back again.
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Hi Nicko,
    good to see GPSAustralia back online. The site has been offline for quite some time and I started to worry or it ever would come back online again.
    Hopefully your line of defence is sufficient to keep the forum up.

Yes second that. Good to seee you up and running again.

Good to see you back up Nicko, had me worried there for a while.
    : : :

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that guys. I have been successfully using stopforumspam for quite a while keeping bad things at bay, however, an update by VBulletin screwed it up and since then have had masses of spam attempting to join and caused the Host to halt things as it is a shared server and it was being affected by the massive number of spammer emails. All is quiet on that front at the moment so I suspect the spammer has moved on for now. I am waiting for VBSEO to provide a new Anti-Spam Module for VBulletin (2 weeks apparently) to get back on track in protecting the site. In the meantime I am manually deleting all none traceable emails (Gmail, hotmail etc) from within the 50,000 registered users who never put a Q or A to the forum. I am doing maybe 500 a day with 26,000 to go
    Last edited by Nicko; 29th September 2014 at 02:33 PM.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Howdy Nicko. Good to see the forum in action again.
    ... Teach a man (or woman) to fish and he (or she) eats for a lifetime.

Hi Nicko,

Agree wholeheartedy with the sentiments expressed here. Great to see the forum up and running again!

At 500/day, you've a couple of months worth of work in front of you. Speak up if there's anything that I might offer assistance with.

Cheers,
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
    Future membership will not be limited to these common emails but all will require approval first.
    Good move Nicko, glad to see the site back up!

You might also want to enable post moderation for new members. That should help weeding out the pretenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
    In the meantime I am manually deleting all none traceable emails (Gmail, hotmail etc) from within the 50,000 registered users who never put a Q or A to the forum. I am doing maybe 500 a day with 26,000 to go
    You should be able to do this in a couple of minutes with SQL at the database level. Would save you a LOT of time.

11. good to see the forum back up again

Thanks Nicko, wonderful to see the site back up.
    regards Michael

yacht racing at RMYS
    Lake Mountain Ski Patrol
    bush walking anywhere in Vic

Cheers Nick

Great to see the site up again.

Barry