Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Free and Legit Copy of Mapsource

1. don, thanks for your interest. your right i wont be using the software often i mostly use a compase and a solid stick.
    ok I open 'units' but i dont understand "make sure your postion format and map datum settings correspond to your written co-ordinates" What i see in 'position format' is hddd*mm.mmm' and in 'Map datum' I'm not sure what I'm suposed to look for in the multiple choices given.
    I have a serial port cable. My Etrex is the model before the H series. It was given as a hand me down and came without any cd. Ron

Quote Originally Posted by mossy rock View Post
    don, thanks for your interest. your right i wont be using the software often i mostly use a compase and a solid stick.
    ok I open 'units' but i dont understand "make sure your postion format and map datum settings correspond to your written co-ordinates" What i see in 'position format' is hddd*mm.mmm' and in 'Map datum' I'm not sure what I'm suposed to look for in the multiple choices given.
    I have a serial port cable. My Etrex is the model before the H series. It was given as a hand me down and came without any cd. Ron
    The Map datum setting depends on where the co-ordinated you've been given come from, so the same co-ordinates will be inslightly different actual places depending onthis. Really only important I guess when working off paper maps (dirrectly or indirectly) or when entering co-ordinates by hand. If youdon't know I guess just go with the default of the GPS and hopefully it won't put you in the neighbours dope plot. I think I usually use Aus Geod '84 as most of the paper maps we use are that (or close) - there is a defaults setting down the bottom if all else fails.
    For the position format, slightlyless confusing, just select the same as the format of your co-ordinates, so hddd*mm.mmm means the co-ordinates are in degrees and decimal minutes, if you have the co-ordinates in degrees, minutes & secs then select hddd*mm*ss.s.
    Don

3. Hi Dooghan,
    Any Idea how to view older blue charts Garmin preprogrammed stick style on a PC?

Cheers

Hi all, first let me tell you I'm a complete novice at all things GPS. I tried downloading Mapsource using Dooghan's third method by downloading Training Centre Version 3.6.5 from the list.Seemed to load ok up until the finding new devices dialogue box popped up then repeatedly refused to recognize my new Garmin 450 (message was that it found incompatible devices). I figured that possibly wasn't essential to the download process so went ahead with the Mapsource update download. All went well until the death when it informed me that no previous Mapsource version was loaded so the install was aborted. Damn!! so after running the Training Center exe file a couple more times with exactly the same result I uninstalled it and installed the later Training Center with ANT Agent (whatever that is) Version 3.6.5 with exactly the same result. Clearly I'm doing something wrong. Help! Oh, and I'm on a PC not Mac.

Cheers Glenn

Blog Entries
    You have to download Basecamp, it's free then install the maps. Mapsource is only for legacy products
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

If you still want Garmin MapSource.

IN THIS ORDER:

1 - Install Garmin BaseCamp
    2 - Install Garmin MapSource

Done.

Give me MapSource for map transfers etc. anyday. Don't expect full compatibility though with the some of the latest Garmins.
    Neville
    40 52' 33"S 175 4' 17"E - 42.521m

Thanks Nicko & Nev. I'll give Basecamp a crack and let you know how it goes.

Cheers Glenn

Thanks again guys, worked a treat! Basecamp, Mapsource and Shonkymaps all installed in that order perfectly as instructed. I've had a bit of a play with both, watched the training videos etc... all looks pretty simple but time will tell. I gather the next step is to transfer Shonkymaps to the GPS sd card? At the risk of sounding like a complete moron, do I need to load Mapsource and/or Basecamp to the GPS or does Shonkymaps simply work with the preloaded global map software?

Cheers Glenn

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567