Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: EPIRB - 406Mhz Emergency Beacon compare (PLB)

1. Why people still wait for this KTI? Hope service and reliability not parallel design and development.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by KarlB
    It was my understanding that pursuant to Australian Standard AS/NZS4280.2:2003 406 MHz satellite distress beacons - Personal locator beacons (PLBs), PLBs are required to be waterproof and to float. However they are not required to float upright as with an EPIRB.

Cheers
    KarlB
    Karl, that is how I read it (the flotation requirements under the Aust Standard) too. I did not say that the PLB must operate when floating, just that it must float so it can be retrieved, whereas an EPIRB must keep operating when floating, as I understand it.
    In contrast, some of the PLB models sold overseas do not float, and AMSA will not register units that do not meet the Australian Standard.

Cheers,
    TC

Quote Originally Posted by MingMing View Post
    The PLB market becomes competitive. ACR launches a ResQLink in the market. It claimed the smallest in the world. I am considering not to wait KTI. Any suggestion or comment on the ResQLink?
    The ACR ResQLink would be competitive if you could actually buy it somewhere in Australia.
    It looks like their main distributor Next Destination has closed up http://www.ozatv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123218
    Anyone had any luck finding a supplier?
    cheers
    CC

Strange - just received two emails today (2/1/2012) notifying me of a new post to this thread by inxs. It is actually inxs' post of 3 october 2011.

Something screwy somewhere!

Barry

Yeah happened to me as well with another thread. ??

Cheers
    Greg
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

6. It's me, I have been fiddling

Oh no - Nicko has an ali-as ! Have you gone scitzo?
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

Blog Entries
    errr yeah, I have been fiddling, trying to setup a subsciption for new members to access reviews and maps and How To video clips I create. I want to be more serious in product reviews, training and videos etc because at the moment I am trying to run a retail shop to earn money to keep the better half in a manner she is accustomed to... with her 1999 Subaru. I just feel this site needs a lot more dedication by me which can only be done with partial subscription and or advertising. Sorry for the Off Topic but I will remove these recent replies in 24 hours.
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Hi Nicko. I have read this entire thread and it would be cringe worthy for the Kannard management to read. I wonder if they have?

Anyhow, after a friend sent me the following article I am now in the market for a PLB!

http://www.news.com.au/national/a-ma...-1226236800776

I am just wondering, now that the GME MT410G PLB is under $400 is this the one to go for?

Just want to be able to press the help button if I get stuck in the poo in the forest while trail bike riding...

So no flotation, antenna, battery life vs cyclone life, lanyard etc. issues for me.

Biggest issue I suppose is weight, which isn't too bad anyhow (for something that could save your life) and would like to keep expenditure below the $400 -> cheap life insurance policy I reckon.

Spot just doesn't seem reliable enough to me. I ride in a forest not really remote, though very big, and it has plenty of mobile coverage so my wife gets texts from me every now and then with GPS positions included.

Pretty clumsly but it works!

Your original comparison while very good doesn't seem to have been updated for a few years....

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ga...rvice_999.html

"Galileo engineers have introduced another innovation: for the first time those in distress will receive a reply, letting them know their signal was picked up and help is on the way."

Will this be the start of a new phase for the EPIRB/PLB? Will it mean the SPOT will need to do the same otherwise fall back dramatically in sales? It would be hard to choose to a certain extent but I like the historical data that the SPOT provides (bread crumb trail) on their server for others to observe any possible issues, but I as the person in the field like the idea of the system telling me, "yeah we hear you, we are on our way!". Come on SPOT make changes or else you will be left behind.
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

I assume that the KTi Mini-Sat-G 406Mhz PLB is still not available?

I could say a whole lot of things about the upcoming release of the KTi Mini-Sat-G 406Mhz PLB which seems to have been coming out since 2008 but I'd be more interested to hear some informed opinion to this saga. Nothing seems to have been posted on the internet about the KTi Mini-Sat-G 406Mhz PLB for quite a while.

Barry

Blog Entries
    I think the excuses wore a bit thin a year ago. By the way ACR PLB products are available cheaply in Australia, if you want one let me know
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789