Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GPS Navigation Software

Hi All,

This is just a General Observation from a user of 2 Different GPS Units.

1st a Cheapie uses Destinator 7
    2nd more expensive uses IGO8

The Destinator unit didn,t come with TTS

The IGO8 unit Did.

After Many Mods,Thanks to help,and Advice,from various forums,the Destinator 7 now, has TTS VOICE, warnings,for All Favourites,Like Cameras,Toilets,Camping Grounds,Parking Lots,Kfc,Etc,Etc.

IE,"You Are Aproaching a NSW School Zone"

The IGO8 Unit has TTS Voice Warnings,of Street Names,Over Speed limits,
    BUT,
    No Speech warning when approaching,These Poi,s,Favouites,Etc,Only Bling,Bling

I do Believe IGO8, is a Much more Polished GPS software,
    Due to its much more reliable,Interface.
    IE,not so many Soft Resets,compared to(Modified) Destinator 7.

If some Guru,could Combine the Best of Destinator 7,AND the Best,Of IGO8,

I believe,the Result, would be Close to the Best,we could get,For a Good GPS UNIT.

Of Course, this is Just My Opinion.

Regards.John

The lack of POI alerts in iGo8 is the only flaw I can see in what is otherwise the closest to perfect navigation software I have used. I think I have read somewhere that they are working on a POI loader for iGo8 and I am hoping it will address this issue. The old iGo poi loader does work with iGo8 but does not have an option to sound alerts.
    Using billions of $$$ worth of satellites to find Tupperware in the bush!
    Profile for bshwckr

I have to admit,I am very fond of IGO8,too.

You are right,the only real whinge I have, is it not announcing a warning,when nearing Poi,s.

Can,t have everything,I suppose.

Looking forward to seeing the POI Loader,when/IF it comes out.

Cheers.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by johnno02
    Hi All,

This is just a General Observation from a user of 2 Different GPS Units.

1st a Cheapie uses Destinator 7
    2nd more expensive uses IGO8

The Destinator unit didn,t come with TTS

The IGO8 unit Did.

After Many Mods,Thanks to help,and Advice,from various forums,the Destinator 7 now, has TTS VOICE, warnings,for All Favourites,Like Cameras,Toilets,Camping Grounds,Parking Lots,Kfc,Etc,Etc.

Regards.John
    Johnno02...not having any luck finding those Destinator mods you made. I have Destinator7 and would like to try some things like TTS. Any chance you still have the links.
    cheers

Hi Phild,

try the link,thats where i got most of my extras for Destinator 7

http://www.gpsmodding.com/

I agree with bshwckr.

IGO8,is the pick of the 2 programs,in fact I now use IGO8 all the time,and dont bother with the others I have.

cheers Mate.
    John

Hi Phild,

try the link,thats where i got most of my extras for Destinator 7

http://www.gpsmodding.com/

I agree with bshwckr.

IGO8,is the pick of the 2 programs,in fact I now use IGO8 all the time,and dont bother with the others I have.

cheers Mate.
    John
    Thanks John, looks like an interesting link which will keep me busy. great, thanks again.

Hi Again Phild,

Glad to help you.

I would still recommend a change to IGO8 if your unit allows software changes.

There is heaps of info on how to do this on the site I directed you to,as well.

IGO8 is WAAY better than Destinator 7,especially if you get the right version.

For EG, My version of IGO8, warns of speed Cameras, via a voice prompt,IE "You are approaching a 60 Klm/per hour speed camera" before you can even see it.

Best,if you have a fast processor 400 MHZ,or so.

Cheers Mate.
    John

Right Version...?

What is the right version? I have 8.0.0.26 (i think) dated Feb 2008 and I the speed camera alerts are different.

July 30 2008
    Igo8 ultra skin 5.0

As i have said before I am No expert,

This combination does what I want.

Hi Again Phild,

Glad to help you.

For EG, My version of IGO8, warns of speed Cameras, via a voice prompt,IE "You are approaching a 60 Klm/per hour speed camera" before you can even see it.

Cheers Mate.
    John
    The GPS I have I understand is a 400MHz running WinCE 4.2. The maps installed are Sensis 2007. I installed speedcam files that seem to work ok. For a Target cheapie (phoenix) I am quite happy with it except at times when it says the gps signal is too low needing a reset. The detail you mention of the info that can be attained for speed cams would be great and I will try and learn more about doing this.
    But I am wondering if IGO8 is something you buy and can my maps work with it? Thanks for the info John.

John..have now got the IGo stuff but noticed the WinCE5 requirement. I'll try it anyway with 4.2 and see what eventuates.

IGo is up and running on my WinCE4.2, though needed to wait a while for it to run initially. My eyes are getting on so I am hoping I can get the maps to appear larger with bigger text but for now I will be giving it a go.

Does the slow initial startup mean it was making registry changes?

Hi Again Phild,

Glad to help you.

Cheers Mate.
    John
    Many thanks John for your help. I am using IGo8 without any issues and really like it. I also have a couple of other options on the
    SD card if I want and all this has made my device far more versatile and satisfying. Very grateful.

Also need to thank Mullet for his input.

cheers fellas

Glad you got it running Phil.

I didn't think it needed wince 5.0, specifically,its just what I have.

I do believe a faster processor,is much better for IGO8

My Voxson GPS350,does run IGO8,but TTS, seems to stutter a bit,WINCE 5.0.BUT,slower Processor than the Uniden Gns 8365,which runs it perfectly.

Cheers Mate.
    John

General GPS chat

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie and have just replaced my Dell Axim X5 with a HP iPAQ 212 which will have bluetooth connection to my EMTAC S3-BTGPS.

I'm looking for recommendations for in car voice navigation software which will be used in metropolitan Sydney, country NSW and next year for about 4-6 weeks for first time holiday in UK & Europe.

From what I've read on this thread iGo8 seems the go however ready to take advice on best for my purpose and where I can buy at best price.

TIA & Cheers
    Clive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast