Thread: Tomtom XL GPS problem

1. Tomtom XL GPS problem

Last week I bought a new tomtom XL. Worked great out of the box. I updated to gps via the usb cable and the tomtom home software that it automatically installs on your PC.

When the GPS is plugged into the PC it connects to half a dozen or more satellites straight away and I can use the GPS via the computer screen.

As soon as I unplug the GPS from the PC, it will not connect to any satellites at all, no matter what I do. Ive been through all the settings, reset to factory defaults via the menu, been for a drive, left it outside, turned it on and off. Nothing. The satellite info screen shows signals from half a dozen satellites, but the screen is grey and wont actually connect. As soon as I plug it back into the PC. works fine.

Im stumped as to what it could be, other then the update (including the "gpsquickfix" one) has done something.

Is there anything else anyone can suggest?
    Cheers . .

Hi
    I don't own a TomTom and can't really offer much help.
    Have you tried a hard reset?

From the manual:
    "To reset your ONE XL, use a straightened paper clip, or something similar, to
    push the reset button. The reset button is next to the memory card slot on the
    bottom of your ONE XL. Then turn your ONE XL on."

From elsewhere on the web: - BACK UP your SD card first if you use one.
    "Carried out a full reset of the TomTom (using instructions from TomTom themselves: remove the card, hold reset button down for 30 seconds, then hold down the power button for 20 seconds, then reinsert the card). Formatted the SD card."

Have you tried to update again just in case your first attempt was corrupted, interrupted in some way or there may even be a further missed patch?
    Neville
    40 52' 33"S 175 4' 17"E - 42.521m

3. Its not a One, just a XL Australia. No SD card slot, or reset button that I can see. The only button is the power button and its got a USB plug at the bottom.

Ive had it plugged into the PC several. No new updates available

A simple google SEARCH finds:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index....age=4&FID=7134
    Is your model listed here?

"TomTom XL 30 Series"
    To reset your TomTom device, do the following:
    Charge your TomTom
    Charge your device for at least 2 hours before trying to turn it on again. Make sure the charging light on your device is on.

Reset your device
    Press and hold the On/Off button until your device restarts. This can take more than fifteen seconds."
    Neville
    40 52' 33"S 175 4' 17"E - 42.521m

5. I ended up working it out. once it was plugged into the PC, I clicked "remove device" and after the message saying "its now ok to remove your hardware" I would just unplug the gps and thats when I had problems. I have to power off the gps before unplugging the usb cable. turn it back on once unplugged and it works no problems...

TomTom on special

V3 Tom Tom at HN for $199. How good is it-looking at buying as a replacement for Aldi's recent special which I had to return. What map does it use and is it reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevermind
    I ended up working it out. .. I have to power off the gps before unplugging the usb cable. turn it back on once unplugged and it works no problems...
    Pleased it worked out for you. Have you noticed also that at switch on after updating, it has a different sequence. It plays the Tom Tom Rap that never happens any other time and then there is a loading bar across the bottom as it updates the files. So apparently they are not updated directly from the web.

I make sure to use their back-up facility as well.

I had a satellite finding difficulty in Germany after an update just before I left Oz. I was not in a position to do an update in Germany which may have solved the problem. The Germany/Austrian maps were installed previous to my last update so I don't have a firm explanation for the difficulty.

Same issues

Quote Originally Posted by Nevermind
    I ended up working it out. once it was plugged into the PC, I clicked "remove device" and after the message saying "its now ok to remove your hardware" I would just unplug the gps and thats when I had problems. I have to power off the gps before unplugging the usb cable. turn it back on once unplugged and it works no problems...
    Have the same gps unit and same problems. Tried the above sequence but still to no avail. Please help!!! Thanks all

9. i have just got a tomtom XL Australia... and it cannot locate satalites at all... does anyone know what could be the issue?
    i have reset the console and its still not working.

10. Quote Originally Posted by jay2k
    Have the same gps unit and same problems. Tried the above sequence but still to no avail. Please help!!! Thanks all
    Yep I have exactly the same problem and of course being here in WA means I have to send the darn thing back at my expense to Teleplan in NSW.

They must sell a lot of these, you would think they would appoint an agent in each state..very average.

Bit sad that you have to send the unit back and wait 2 weeks. I use or was using this for work and it's only 4 months old. One would think it would last longer than that, hence my user name...Definately going to be a major inconvenience but at least we have this forum to share the wear so to speak.

The guy who took my call seemed to struggle with his product knowledge and about as warm as a mother in laws kiss...

I have tried all the suggestions to the letter here with no joy but very much appreciate the assistance folks..many thanks

Blog Entries
    sorry for my off topic but ...
    The guy who took my call seemed to struggle with his product knowledge and about as warm as a mother in laws kiss...

Hmmmm I got no complaints about my mother in-law .... well mother in-law too be ... well maybe oneday

Garmin have no service agency in any state except Sydney and same goes for all other manufacturers.
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

12. ooo it's the CEO eeek
    No offense to mother in laws, just jossin

mmmmmm so they are all the same eh Nicko - economies of scale married to tyranny of distance ...not a good formulae! sob sob. I guess I should send it registered post??

Blog Entries
    definitely registered
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

14. Talking

Good Morning Nicko and all.

Well good news! I had tried the reset button numerous times to no avail. I read somewhere (trawling all over google) that if you held the on/off button down for 20 seconds that would fix the problem. It is ALL of 20 seconds that you hold the off button down untill it reboots (this wasn't actuually stated) and finally I hear the tomtom rap.

Bearing in mind it has a reset button I guess for the software and the off button is the hardware reset or something.
    It doesn't help that the instruction book has 3/5ths of 5/8ths of any trouble shooting or info. On account it is so informative ala 23 pages all smaller than a cheque book.

Don't know if this will help any forum memebers but oh so glad I don't have to send it away to be fixed.
    Other good news is I found this site.

I hope the above members have similar luck. Good Luck!

Thanks Impressd Not, I had the problem where after 15 months use my TomTom XL couldn't find satellites - that 20 second hold the power on/off button got mine fiding Satellites again.
    By the way, my TomTom XL does not have a reset button anywhere.