Thread: realtime gps in MapInfo ?

realtime gps in MapInfo ?

Hi,

I currently use mapinfo for the display of various properties around the country. I use it on my laptop when driving around, so I can see where the next property is that I have to get to.
    What I am needing to do is to hook up my GPS, so I can see my current location from within Mapinfo.
    Is this something that is possible? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions for me? I've thought of the idea of using the mapinfo data in another program that may have the functionality, but am at a loss to what to use.

thanks!
    Gav

Someting about it here - Note: a 14mb powerpoint download

Field GIS using MapInfo Pro & GPS. Logging GPS points in real-time and more...

http://www.sgsi.com/MIUserGroup/Mobi...ithMapInfo.ppt

Cheers
    Greg
    To find yourself, think for yourself Socrates 469 BC

...one other option is to create a raster map (eg tiff/jpg/png format) in mapinfo using your vector data and (along with a world file ) then import into a gps mapping program such as OziExplorer. I have done this before with Arcview.

It is alo possible to import some mapinfo format (mif?) vector data into OziExplorer and overlay it on existing raster maps.

Cheers
    Greg
    To find yourself, think for yourself Socrates 469 BC

Its is possible to do. I have done this before.

You need to install Blue Marble GPS, it should be on your MI install disc. You then need to configure your COM port settings so that your GPS can talk to the computer, and inherently to the Blue Marble GPS which talks to MapInfo.

What type of GPS are you using?

Peter